My First Carrot, Apple, Walnut and Raisin Cupcake in Italy


Ever since, I made the chocolate chip cookies, chocolate chip, peanut butter cookies, and raisin cookies, I've been been obsessed with baking. I don't think it's the actual process I enjoy, but the result. And since, I can't get any of these delicious desserts or pastries here, I have to do it myself.  It hasn't helped that there are so many wonderful blogs showing delicious photos of cupcakes and other desserts that I can't stop thinking about them. So, here is my first attempt, and may I say, rather successful attempt at making a carrot, apple, walnut and raisin cupcakes. It was definitely a hit, however, I had a little bit of trouble with the frosting. I couldn't get the frosting to stay thick, after mixing it with a beater, and as usual, it doesn't look like it's suppose to. 

Any ideas on what I could have done to make the frosting thicker? (I realized while I was writing this posting that I hadn't sifted the icing sugar.....would that make a difference in the texture?)

Thanks to Joy of Baking, where I found this wonderful recipe. The cupcakes were moist, nutty, full of flavour and just plain "yummy". I had to stop myself from eating all of them. After eating, about four, I had to put them away. They were that good. 


This batter makes about 20 cupcakes. I made mine a little smaller, so I could get more cupcakes out of the batter. I also tweaked the recipe a bit and took out the egg whites and substituted them with maple syrup and I added less butter. 







































Carrot Cupcakes: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C) and place rack in center of oven. Place paper liners in 20 muffin cups.


Carrot Cupcakes:




2 cups (260 grams) all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2teaspoons ground cinnamon
4 large eggs
1 cup (200 grams) granulated white sugar
1 cup (240 ml) safflower or canola oil
2 cups(210 grams) finely grated raw carrots
1 cup grated apple (approximately 2 large)
1/2cup (55 grams) pecans or walnuts, coarsely chopped
1 cup (100 grams) raisins or currants

Cream Cheese Frosting:
1/2 cup(113 grams) unsalted butter, room temperature
8 ounces(227 grams) cream cheese, room temperature
2 cups (220 grams)confectioners' (powdered or icing) sugar, sifted
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract













Comments

  1. These look A M A Z I N G! I know it isn't healthy- but adding a cup [or half cup] of sugar will do the trick. I use the same recipe for my frosting, but use 3 cups of sugar :o

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been in a baking mood myself lately since the weather here has been dreary. It just feels so cozy to fire up the oven!

    There are wonderful cooking blogs and channels out there. one of my favorites is called "America's test kitchen" They explain all kinds of tricks to baking and I feel like I've improved a lot from them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUM! I love when you can turn something "healthy" (carrots, raisins, walnuts) into a tasty, sweet, indulgent treat :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. mmm foood.. mm cupcakes! these look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks guys! The advice and comments mean a lot to me. Especially, since I'm not a natural baker.

    Wishing you a beautiful, amazing and wonderful week!!!!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Leave a LITTLE LOVE and JOY.
You're a STAR!

Popular Posts