My First Carrot, Apple, Walnut and Raisin Cupcake in Italy


Ever since, I made the chocolate chip cookies, chocolate chip, peanut butter cookies, and raisin cookies, I've been been obsessed with baking. I don't think it's the actual process I enjoy, but the result. And since, I can't get any of these delicious desserts or pastries here, I have to do it myself.  It hasn't helped that there are so many wonderful blogs showing delicious photos of cupcakes and other desserts that I can't stop thinking about them. So, here is my first attempt, and may I say, rather successful attempt at making a carrot, apple, walnut and raisin cupcakes. It was definitely a hit, however, I had a little bit of trouble with the frosting. I couldn't get the frosting to stay thick, after mixing it with a beater, and as usual, it doesn't look like it's suppose to. 

Any ideas on what I could have done to make the frosting thicker? (I realized while I was writing this posting that I hadn't sifted the icing sugar.....would that make a difference in the texture?)

Thanks to Joy of Baking, where I found this wonderful recipe. The cupcakes were moist, nutty, full of flavour and just plain "yummy". I had to stop myself from eating all of them. After eating, about four, I had to put them away. They were that good. 


This batter makes about 20 cupcakes. I made mine a little smaller, so I could get more cupcakes out of the batter. I also tweaked the recipe a bit and took out the egg whites and substituted them with maple syrup and I added less butter. 







































Carrot Cupcakes: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C) and place rack in center of oven. Place paper liners in 20 muffin cups.


Carrot Cupcakes:




2 cups (260 grams) all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2teaspoons ground cinnamon
4 large eggs
1 cup (200 grams) granulated white sugar
1 cup (240 ml) safflower or canola oil
2 cups(210 grams) finely grated raw carrots
1 cup grated apple (approximately 2 large)
1/2cup (55 grams) pecans or walnuts, coarsely chopped
1 cup (100 grams) raisins or currants

Cream Cheese Frosting:
1/2 cup(113 grams) unsalted butter, room temperature
8 ounces(227 grams) cream cheese, room temperature
2 cups (220 grams)confectioners' (powdered or icing) sugar, sifted
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract













Popular Posts