Food Poisoning or the Stomach Flu



Viral Gastroenteritis 


So, I went to a friend's for lunch on Thursday with the hubby and later that afternoon I began to feel unwell. By the time we arrived home later that day, I rushed to the bathroom and unleashed the 3 course meal that I had eaten earlier. Suffice it to say that I thought I had a reaction to the rabbit (the first and last time I ever try it - bunny rabbits are not meant to be eaten) and the worst of it was over. 

Later that evening, I went to work and taught through two classes while my stomach was gnawing and cramping. I wish I could've stayed home but it was too late to call in sick. Once I was finished at 10pm, I rushed home and went straight to the bathroom. This scene lasted for several days, including suffering a pandemonium of symptoms - chronic nausea, headache, fever, chills, dizziness, dehydration, and abdominal cramps ,etc. At first, I thought it was food poisoning, but since I was the only one that got sick, I've come to the conclusion it was viral gastroenteritis or more commonly known as the stomach flu. 

What are the differences between the
stomach flu and food poisoning? 

Well, according to healthmad.com, since the two share similar symptoms, the only difference really is that food poisoning can lead to hospitalization or even death; whereas, a case of the stomach flu or viral gastroenteritis rarely leads to that. Also, another clue...(if you haven't died by then - just joking) is that if, there were other people who ate the same food as you, they would have become ill too. 

I'm much better now, if you're asking. However, I really would like to stop being sick at least for one month. Last month I had some reaction to food I ate at an agriturismo/masseria, and the months before that I was recovering from bronchial pneumonia and some other random stomach virus. Anyhow, this is the reason why I've been m.i.a from your blogs this past week. 

p.s. i'm so hungry for real food...
still on a diet of rice, water, broth, 
crackers and veggies. 

 













oh, almost forgot....
i want to thank my hubby, who was a fantastic nurse while i was sick. he even took time off from work to take care of me.

xo
Reese


Popular Posts