Julie and Julia - Julie Powell and Julia Child (Amy Adams and Meryl Streep)



Julie & Julia

File:Julie and julia.jpg


I just finished watching Julie and Julia a few days ago on my computer, and I had built up such excitement in my head that it wasn't as fantastic and great as I'd expected. Do you do that? ....have great expectations for a film, book or CD and it's not as great as you thought it would be? I think it's better just not to have any expectations and then I would enjoy them so much more. I love Amy Adams, and Meryl Streep has got to be the greatest actress of this century. They were fantastic together in the film, "Doubt," as two nuns struggling with their identities. 

In Doubt, they spent a lot of screen time together and the chemistry between them was outstanding. In Julie and Julia, they spent absolutely no screen time together. They did incredible jobs portraying their characters, however, I felt that Amy Adams' character was kind of weepy and soppy. Her character and her friend in the movie maintained that she was a so-called "bitch." But, I didn't see that. I didn't think her character was a bitch. She was just "needy" and a tad "self-pitiful." This film is based on the true-life story of Julie Powell and her 365 days of cooking from Julia Child's recipe book: French Cooking for Americans. I'm sure that the real Julie Powell contains more depth and character than her character in the film. 



All in all, I found the movie to be pleasant and fun, and I learned a lot about Julia Child. I related to Julie Powell's character when she was writing on her blog and wondering about her readers, and who was reading her blog. I empathized with her need to validate her work through the comments her readers left. Thank goodness, I don't get enough readers to become narcissistic about it....I guess :-))). My husband would definitely not be as "saintly" as Julie's husband in the film was.




Isn't Amy Adams just adorable?!
Did you see the movie? What did you think? 


p.s. who is following this blog? 


who are you?


what do you enjoy about my blog?


pop me a comment or an email at rambleswithreese@gmail.com, and if you haven't done so already, follow me on google connect. 


oh......I almost forgot....have a HAPPY EASTER!!

Comments

  1. Reese!! Well first off I love everything about your blog.. it's real, it's got lots of great variety, youre a wonderful writer & I LOVE following your fun life in Italy!!!

    I was also a bit disappointed by Julie & Julia.. though it was entertaining.

    Have a great weekend!!! xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Reese! I don't have to tell you who I am...you know me! ;-) I like the design aspect of your blog and its eclectic nature and the obvious amount of time and thought you put into it!
    I hated Julie&Julia, thought it was terribly dull and a waste of €7! The Julie character was absolutely pathetic, needy and whiney alright! So, there you go, you're not the only one! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Julie and Julia's saving grace was Meryl. I loved her over-the-top-ness.

    And I read your blog, but I don't follow it because that's against my "rules." And why do I love it? Because you're thoughtful, you take time, you wonder about the important things, and you share just enough :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i saw the movie, and while i thought it was cute, i wished i had saved my $9 and watched in on DVD instead! agree with your observation that amy adams' character was less a bitch, and just plain needy.

    i DO however, completely understand how she wonders if anyone is out there reading her blog, wanting that input on her posts! i can identify with her on that, i am not ashamed to admit. Maybe when I become wildly famous, it will not be that important to me :) haha.

    and i am following your blog! i like that you are always posting something different, and i particularly enjoyed the posts about your wedding.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks all for taking the time to reply with such thoughtful responses. I really appreciate it.

    And Elizabeth, I'm really curious about your "rules." I would love to read about it someday. I have it because I follow so many blogs that it's easy to sign-up and have them accessible in my dashboard and see whose updated their blog.

    I have been thinking about removing it. So, you've given me food for thought.

    YOU'RE ALL AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for this post, it is great

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is wonderful blog. I love it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Leave a LITTLE LOVE and JOY.
You're a STAR!

Popular Posts