Inspirational Quote from Maya Angelou

Usually, I write an inspirational quote that inspires and feeds the soul. However, this time I thought it would also be nice to add some bio of the person who wrote or said the quote.  So, the Inspirational Quote this week is from a very well known dancer, writer, poet, actress, speaker and African-American activist born as Marguerite Johnson on April 4, 1928 in St. Louis, Missouri, who is now famously known as Maya Angelou. Maya was a nickname her brother gave her and later she would marry and divorce Tosh Angelou. She overcame a very difficult childhood in a racially, segregated state. 

She has had an incredibly diverse career and continues to teach, speak on T.V., radio and other forums. She has also worked as a cook, waitress and cable car operator, just to name a few. She spent her early twenties as a dancer, and toured Europe and Africa in the musical Porgy and Bess. She was also editor of African Review in Ghana for several years in which she began to become more active in politics and human rights. She worked with Martin Luther King Jr. and Malcolm X during the Civil Rights Movement. Sadly, Martin Luther King Jr. was assassinated on her birthday. 




"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

Maya Angelou

I want to share this quote with you not just because it's filled with wisdom and insight, but also because of the simplicity and beauty of its message. I have tried to live by this philosophy and hope to live a long, blessed life - God willing. However, if God was to say, "Hey Reese, it's your time to go." I would say, "God, I'm ready." (Course'....not saying I want to go now :-)) 








Photos that I took of a cherry blossom tree while on a hike in Basilicata. It took our breath away. I hope you take the opportunity to have more moments that take your breath away.



Comments

  1. I love this quotation. It's a good reminder that we have to pay attention to small extraordinary moments

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love that quote :) i have a mug from coffeebean that has that quote on it! and i like your cherry blossoms pictures~ reminds me that spring is here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny story. My older sister used to sign all her emails with this quote...and so I thought for forever that it was all her! But no :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely love this quote! It's an important reminder to LIVE life & not let it pass you by.

    Your photos are lovely as always. Cherry blossoms are my favorite! So glad you are enjoying Spring!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks guys for all your personal comments. I truly believe that life can only be measured by the moments that we truly cherish. And oftentimes they're the simple moments that take our breath away, like a beautiful sunrise or sunset.

    A few days ago, I saw the most amazing thing that took my breath away. It was a full rainbow. I don't ever remember seeing a full rainbow from beginning to end in my entire life. It was stunning! I tried to capture it on camera, but it could only be enjoyed right then and there. It disappeared after a few minutes. I was blessed to be there at that moment to witness such beauty.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Leave a LITTLE LOVE and JOY.
You're a STAR!

Popular Posts