Caserta, Italy in Pictures (near Naples) - Part II


Hello my friends! 
are some of you still on holiday like me or back to work? 
have you gained quite a bit of holiday weight like I have? 
well....this isn't a post about fitness and dieting as you can see from the title .-).

we just got back from up north and umbria 
(one of my favourite places). in italy, we're still celebrating, as tomorrow is a national holiday to celebrate "La Befana" (the feast of the Epiphany, 6th January). many cities celebrate with processions, reenactments, etc. so what is this holiday and why is it called "La Befana?" well, I'm glad you asked, cause' I had to look that up. epiphany commemorates the twelfth day of Christmas when the three Wise Men arrived at the manger bearing gifts for baby Jesus. if you want to read more about this holiday - it continues below....

*****
I was really itching to write a New Year's post about a review of this past year, but to be honest,  
I'm a bit lazy and that would take hours and hours of thought and contemplation. So, rather than bore myself and you with that, I am ringing in the New Year with a 
Part II of the Palace of Caserta - a look from the inside (as promised). If you haven't read Part I - click here.

on the opposite side of the entrance to the grand palace...we're not quite inside yet :-)

 a look at the verrrrrrrrrry long viaduct.

 the palace was filled with enormous, glittery, bright, and ostentatious chandeliers - 
the size of a grand piano.

 some breathtaking and astoundingly detailed alfrescoes - expected of palaces of 
such importance and prominence. 

unbelievably long corridors. 
i still can't believe that people actually lived here. 

 all the doors were of this size. sometimes I wonder why they made doors and furniture so large that they were more suited for giants rather than humans.

can you envision yourself eating on a giant, gilded, gold table?

18th century elevator (lift). 

 miniature 18th century elevator (lift).

 a bassinet made for royal infants. can you imagine your baby in this?

 a sleigh bed where the King slept (i assume).

i quite liked this bookcase from the 18th century as it reminded me of a Christmas tree.

the celebration of "La Befana" 
includes the tale of a witch, a.k.a La Befana, who flies around on her broomstick during the eleventh night bringing gifts to children in the hopes that she will find baby Jesus. she fills children's stockings with toys and sweets for good children and lumps of coal for the bad ones - sound a little familiar to you? that is why they don't hang up stockings like we do in North America for Santa Clause because the italian tradition is to do it on this day. if you want to know more about the origin of this holiday, click here

i hope you enjoyed part 2 of the Palace of Caserta and about La Befana. 

p.s. i'll be spending this weekend catching up on replying to all your Christmas wishes and comments.

Wishing you all a remarkable YEAR!

Love Reese

Comments

  1. Great pictures and what a fun story about the witch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those princes of Naples and Sicily were not shabby!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I love Italy. So much culture and history. It's beautiful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. just beautiful. I feel like I was there, minus the very expensive plane ticket.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow! I am so jealous you are in Italy! I went two years ago and it is definately one of the most interesting countries!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nothing to say. I love this place!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. how beautiful... those houses are impressive!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh my goodness, the inside of the palace is so beautiful! and oh my, the doors are huge! i would really love to know why the doors are that tall, haha! ;) i would love love love to visit a palace as beautiful as that one day. :)

    <3, Mimi
    http://whatmimiwrites.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy new year, sweetie!!! What an amazing place! That gilded table and the sleigh bed are to die for. Could you even imagine??? :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. These pictures are just beautiful. You are so lucky to have such amazing pieces of history so close to you.

    *Erin

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved the photo of the doors! Seriously, why so big? Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. How fun! Makes me want to go somewhere, again. Thanks for sharing your beautiful photos! xoxo
    http://www.hellohellofriday.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh boy - these are making me pretty jealous. I miss Italy so much. I can't wait to go back with the hubby and show him my old neighborhood :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. WOW WOW, I can't wait to go back to Italy. Your visit looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a beautiful palace! I love the bassinet. I can totally see my girls (as babies) having a lot of fun ripping down that gorgeous veil!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sigh...such beautiful photos! Just makes me want to go there more and more!
    That is so interesting about the tale of the witch. I've never heard that before!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  17. what an amazing place ... that ceiling and the beautiful area surrounding it, oh my

    ReplyDelete
  18. thanks for commenting on this post everyone - palaces are stunning and "pretty, crazy, big!"

    xoxo Reese

    ReplyDelete
  19. I just came upon your blog and love how fun and happy it is! And you live in Italy and make jewelry?! How fabulous! I will have to live vicariously through you until I can make it there :) Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  20. These pictures are lovely, everything looks amazing; I so want to go on a vacation after seeing these pictures, I bet you had a great time! You have a lovely blog and I'm a new follower! Hope you'll like my blog and follow back!
    Also make sure to enter my 100$ giftcard giveaway to spend at Shopbop.

    Pop Culture&Fashion Magic

    ReplyDelete
  21. lovely reportage, thank you. hugs

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Leave a LITTLE LOVE and JOY.
You're a STAR!

Popular Posts